Give Yourself A Natural Face (And Body) Lift With The Supergreen Diet
As regular readers know, we believe absolutely that beauty has to be a two-way thing: what you put in your body is absolutely 100% as important as what you put on it. This was confirmed to us, yet again, when we recently saw 160 Beauty Bible readers for ‘age-defying’ consultations at Selfridges, as part of our book tour: the ones who took care of themselves (eating well, walking, generally keeping active, not smoking) were the ones who truly glowed…
We swear by this ‘Supergreens Facelift Diet’ – which features (for those of you who haven’t bought your copy yet) in The Anti-Ageing Beauty Bible. (We are delighted to say that VH is the only place you can get hold of copies that have been signed by both of us!) For anyone who hasn’t yet got the book, here’s a taster – and an easy-to-follow, feel-good diet that (trust us) really does have an amazing effect. At its heart is Sun Chlorella, a supplement which regular Beauty Bible followers will know that we can’t live without, based on advice from Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner and nutritionist Nadia Brydon. For the full explanation of why it works, you’ll need to read the book. But meanwhile, here’s the ‘diet’ itself. (Normally hate that word, but as this isn’t about weight-loss, we can tolerate it…!)
Try following this diet for two days to start with, preferably over a weekend when you can rest as much as you want to. Do some gentle cardiovascular exercise for at least half an hour a day: walking is fine – dancing if you prefer, or jogging, hockey, swimming. Whatever pleases you.
Do remember this is not meant to be a penance. Make sure you have lovely clean fresh bed linen, bath towels and nightie; your favourite music and DVDs, a stack of glossy magazines and whatever else you ENJOY! Go out if you want to – lead your normal life, just stick to the diet. It’s often fun to do these things with a partner so ask a girlfriend – or lover/spouse if they’re game. But choose someone where there’s no tension attached.
Prep for your weekend by eating a light evening meal between six and 7.30pm. Always leave at least two hours between eating and going to bed. And do plan for an early night.
• First thing, drink a large glass of room temperature water, with a slice of lemon if liked.
• Follow with half an hour of yoga stretching and meditation, or a walk. Salute to the Sun will start your day beautifully whatever age/fitness you are; for easy-to-follow instructions see www.yogasite.com/sunsalute.htm. Apply a hair mask before starting, if you wish.
• Brush teeth and tongue, gargle with slightly salted room temperature water and splash face with cold water to wake up and contract facial skin cells.
• Before showering, skin brush your whole body with a soft natural brush or mitten to help stimulate and detox skin and lymph system. Brush from extremities towards the heart.
• Take a shower, ending with hot and cold hydrotherapy water treatment: alternate hot and cold water for half a minute each, repeat seven times in all. End with cold water in the morning, hot water in the evening (fabulous for waking up your whole body before a night out). This contracts and relaxes every cell, and moving the circulation so helping to eliminate toxins.
• Shampoo and condition your hair in the shower.
• Moisturise from top to toe.
• Fill 2 litre bottles with natural spring (or filtered) water, and sip through the day.
- Drink half (12 oz) your fresh Green Smoothie (see recipe below).
Mid morning snack
- Sip 8 oz glass Green Smoothie
- 2 ounces of soaked almonds and half a cup of white grapes or raw peas, carrots/cucumber sticks
- 4-6 oz steamed or grilled fresh fish of any sort (just not tinned or frozen) OR 4-6 ounces of fresh tofu OR half an avocado
- 2-3 cups mixed salad: make a big salad with some or all of the following: torn leaves of lettuce, rocket (arugula), watercress, basil and spinach; chopped red pepper and cucumber; grated carrot and beetroot, radishes, spring onion; 1 cup living sprouting seeds e.g. alfalfa, pulses, mung bean shoots; 1 tsp pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Dress with 1 tbs extra virgin cold pressed olive oil and lemon juice, with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pudding: 1 cup mixed berries or 4 oz papaya or 4 oz apple/pear/grapes. Sip 8 -12 ounces of natural spring water (more if wished)
Mid afternoon snack
- Drink remainder of anti ageing/anti-inflammatory Green Smoothie And/or
- Apple or pear or grapes
- 8 to 12 ounces of natural spring water (more if you wish).
- 4-6 oz fresh organic chicken OR tofu OR avocado OR
- roasted/steamed vegetable medley seasoned with fresh herbs
- Mixed salad and pudding: as above
- 8 to 12 ounces of natural spring water or more if desired.
‘Eat food. Not too much. Mainly plants.’ Michael Pollan’s Food Rules
Love These Foods
- Organic where possible
- Fresh vegetables, freshly made veggie soups and juices
- Fresh salads
- Sprouted seeds and pulses
- Fresh fruit
- Nuts and seeds (soak nuts 12 hours)
- Fresh fish including sushi
- Lean meat/game
- Hot water with slice of lemon
- Spring water
- Herb teas; e.g. peppermint, ginger, fennel
Reduce These Foods
- All processed sugar and sweeteners
- Processed and tinned foods
- Junk foods
- Dairy products
- Wheat products (especially ‘industrialised’ bread; if you want to eat bread, look for long-fermented sourdoughs from artisan bakeries)
- Red meat
- Crisps and peanuts
- Pasta and Pizza
- Any foods with E numbers and additives
- Sweets/ chocolate
- Tap water
- Fizzy drinks
Box: Super Green Smoothie
Pure rocket fuel! This will help reduce your appetite, rejuvenate your skin and whole body, plus giving you endless energy! Drinking it in the morning helps reduce your appetite for sweet tastes so it helps balance blood sugar levels. Always store in the fridge in a screw top jar (or wide-necked thermos) and make fresh daily.
Servings: 3 x 500 ml servings, i.e. 1 ½ litres. All measurements are approximate, so don’t fret about being exact. Blend together:
- 600 mls/just over 1 pint still mineral water
- ½ chopped cucumber with skin and pips (250g)
- ¼ peeled avocado (50g)
- 1 chopped celery stick (80g)
- 1 tbs fresh flax oil (rich in omega 3 essential fatty acids)
- Juice ½ lemon or lime
- ¼ teaspoon unrefined salt
- Small double handful mixed green leaves (60-80g) from the following: kale, bok choy (Chinese cabbage), basil, parsley sprigs, spinach, chicory, water cress, rocket (arugula), sprigs of coriander, cabbage, chard, mint, lettuce, etc (you can often buy convenient bags of organic mixed green leaves)
- 5-15 Sun Chlorella ‘A’ tablets (if not used to greens in diet, use 5 tablets for the first 3 days, then build up to 15 over the week)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1-2 slices of fresh ginger (5-10gms)
- 1 small chopped spring onion
- ½ apple or ½ pear, or ½ cup papaya, mango or melon to sweeten slightly, if liked