Month three, the VH community is thriving. The whole essence of a community is to share and so this month I am delighted to introduce you to Yenli Izzillo, whose posts on our Facebook page have become legendary. Her independent review of the Innovative Skincare products follows, which I am sure you will find really interesting, so take it away Yenli and thank you for being completely magnificent.
The fun continues over on Facebook, we look forward to welcoming you at www.facebook.com/victoriahealth. Have a great month. Claire x
Review of the Innovative Skincare Range
By someone who’s new to the brand but is now a hardcore fan!
- Gill, after my third application of the whole range, THIRD!, my skin is glowing!!!
- Oh my god! I want to scream with joy. I don’t remember the last time my skin glowed! My husband can’t tear me away from the mirror and my two little boys think I’ve gone mad! I have a permanent happy grin on my face.
- Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
The above is an email I sent Gill, word for word, on the second day of using the full range of Innovative Skincare products. I’m writing this review because I’m a life-long beauty junkie who’s bought into almost every hype and ‘miracle’ product on the market, and because this is the first time I’ve seen a significant difference to my skin as a direct result of the skincare I’m using.
Let’s start at the beginning, though, and I’ll tell you more about myself. I’m in my late thirties and have always had reasonably good skin. I’ve also always invested in my skin, and have done so since my late teens. I don’t know what my friends were buying with their pocket money, but I was buying Clarins skincare.
About five years ago, I started suffering from dehydration on my cheeks. My t-zone was still oily, but my cheeks felt tight and uncomfortable even after moisturising. A year later, I fell pregnant with my first child and the dehydration went from bad to disastrous. I bought so many different serums and moisturisers in a desperate attempt to save my skin. To my disappointment, none of them made a significant difference. Last year, I was pregnant with my second child, and the problem became worse. My skin was severely dehydrated and blotchy. I bought premium skincare specially designed for dehydrated skin – ‘Hydra-this’ and ‘Hydra-that’ and hundreds of pounds later, my skin remained as bad as ever.
Now, eight months after the birth of my second beautiful baby boy, my skin has recovered somewhat – the blotchiness is gone, but my cheeks are still dehydrated and I have lots and lots of very fine lines running from the sides of my nose and all across my cheeks. They only appear when I smile. It’s not really noticeable unless you’re standing close to my face, but I’m very conscious of it and when I see those fine lines in the mirror, it makes me sad.
A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to win one of the 60 Seconds freebies – a 5 ml sample of Instant Smoothing Gel. I’d read Gill’s August newsletter about Innovative Skincare and was intrigued but sceptical – I’d heard it all before – or so I thought. Having said that, I was excited to try this wonder product that I’d read about. I used it after cleansing, before my usual moisturiser, and I posted the results on the VH Facebook page. The review is below:
- ‘Instant Smoothing Gel – I LOVE this. I have reasonably good skin, but suffer badly from dehydration on my cheeks. I’ve used various skincare brands, but nothing sorts out the many, many fine dehydration lines on my cheeks. Four days after using Instant Smoothing Gel my skin is plumper, more radiant and yes, the dehydration lines are reduced. Not gone completely yet, but then it’s only been four days. I didn’t think I had a problem with uneven skin tone, but I have noticed a definite improvement in my skin tone, so much so that I hardly need to use foundation anymore …. I would recommend it to anyone who wants plumper, more even skin – it did more for my skin in four days than other products did when used over months’.
As you can see, the results were pretty amazing. So when the next 60 seconds came out, I bit the bullet and bought the Essentials Kit. If one product could make such a difference to my skin, then I couldn’t wait to try more of the range.
Next up was the Reparative Moisturiser. As a result of having such dehydrated skin on my cheeks, there hasn’t been a single moisturiser that I haven’t needed to layer on – because just one layer always leaves my skin still feeling tight (I do the smile test – if I smile and feel tightness in my cheeks, then I apply another layer, and I repeat this until there is no tightness. The downside that that I sometimes end up with cheeks that feel oily and grubby, but are still dehydrated!) With the Reparative Moisturiser, just one layer seems to do it. There’s no tightness, which I find hard to believe, so I smile, and then smile again, and pinch myself in wonder, accept that this is an amazing product, and go and put my make up on.
Then, three weeks ago, Gill contacted me to ask if I’d like to be an independent tester for the Innovative Skincare range. Well, needless to say, I said, ‘Yes!!!’ before she could even blink. After the results I’d seen from just the Instant Smoothing Gel and Reparative Moisturiser, I was a very willing guinea pig indeed!
Well, I wasn’t disappointed – three days into using the full range, and I sent Gill the email you read at the very start of this review.
Five days into using the range, I sent this email to Gill:
- I’m afraid I’m going to be bombarding your inbox Gill. I need to share this with someone else who ‘gets it’!
- Yesterday, my husband said that my skin looked better – to put this into context, this is a man who mocks me (lovingly of course) for my skincare/beauty obsession and tries not to encourage me! Lol!
- Today, I woke up, and I swear I looked younger. My whole face is just firmer with better tone and less lines. It’s like someone’s put an invisible veil over my face and has gently pulled it up and back, making everything look that little bit firmer. The lines that run from the sides of my nose down to the sides of my mouth (there’s a name for them, I can’t remember what they’re called) are a lot less noticeable than they used to be. The crazy thing is that I wasn’t even concerned about ageing (I don’t think I look old for my age) but now I’m starting to look younger. It blows my mind. By the time I’d finished putting on my make up this morning (and I used a LOT less make up that I normally do), my skin looked flawless.
- My only worry is that your newsletter readers won’t believe my story as the results are so incredible that I wouldn’t believe it if it wasn’t happening to me!
Ten days into using the range, I sent this email to Gill: (are you seeing a pattern yet?)
- My pores are so much smaller that some of them have disappeared! Yes, really! I first noticed it this morning when I was putting my make up on but was in a rush and didn’t have time to look more closely. Tonight after I cleansed my face I peered closely into the mirror and voila! my pores are truly much reduced. They don’t ‘appear’ smaller, they ARE smaller! Some of them looked like they’d actually closed up. This was naked skin, no serum or moisturiser to blur the edges. Incredible!
- You know, Gill, I’d stopped using my favourite Nars blusher a couple of years ago because the shimmer in it made my already large pores look enormous! Guess what I’m going shopping for this weekend? *grin*
- I’ve read so many magazine articles that said that you can’t shrink pores. All you can hope to do is to make them appear smaller by applying a silicone based primer on them. Well, a week and a half into using Innovative Skincare and I can categorically say, hand on heart, that I’m living proof that they’re wrong. You CAN shrink pores!
So now for a product by product review (in order of my personal preference):
1. Instant Smoothing Gel
For me, this is the hero of the range. I saw such fantastic results after just four days of using it on its own. My skin was plumper, skin tone more even, and fine lines reduced. If you are planning to try only one thing from the range, then I’d say try this. BUT, and this is really important, I saw such an incredible difference when I used the full range that I’d encourage you to get the Essentials Kit as well and use it together with the Smoothing Gel. You only need to use a small bit of the gel – I don’t even use a full pump.
2. Reparative Moisturiser
Maybe it’s because this was the second product I tried and saw such fantastic results with, it’s number two for me. Just one pump goes a very long way. If you have dehydrated skin, you’ll love this. It’s non-oily and non-sticky, but my face has lost its tight-and-uncomfortable feeling, and the miracle is I don’t even have to layer it on like I have to with every other moisturiser that I’ve used. It occurred to me that maybe my skin didn’t feel tight because I had the Instant Smoothing Gel under this moisturiser so I tried using nothing but the Reparative Moisturiser on my skin after cleansing and still no tightness. Truly a fantastic product.
3. Exfoliating Enzyme Treatment
This stuff is like magic in a tube. I’ve come to the conclusion that it must be filled with thousands of microscopic Pac-Men because just one application of this wonder product and all my dead skin and dull patches get munched away to reveal fresh, glowing, and oh-so-young-looking skin. I now understand why all the VH Addicts on FB say they count down the days to being able to use this again. I’ve joined the club. As of today, I only have 10 days before I can use it again. The instructions say use every two to four weeks. Ha! I can’t wait that long so two weeks is the absolute maximum I’ll go between applications.
4. Age Treatment Complex
I don’t know how to describe this except to say that it seems to be the Robin to Instant Smoothing Gel’s (ISG) Batman. To me, it seems to make ISG work better, like a little booster. It also makes me less likely to pile on the ISG, which is a good thing as ISG is quite dear. Just one pump glides on easily, makes my face look good, and is the perfect prep for ISG.
5. Restorative Eye Complex
This should really be ranked much higher. It just does what it says on the tin. The fine lines just under the inner corner of my eyes are less noticeable and my eye area looks good. The thing is I don’t have crows feet or bags under my eyes, so I’m probably seeing less of a difference to my skin than someone who has more lines around her eyes might see.
To me, it’s a silent unsung hero, it just quietly does a good job behind the scenes. And you only need a tiny amount. I have never ever used a full pump of this. In fact, I don’t even know what a full pump of this looks like. I squeeze a tiny little drop onto my fourth fingertip, dab that against my other fourth fingertip, and dab both under my eyes and over my eye lids. Job done.
6. Protective Moisturiser SPF15
I really like this moisturiser. Like the eye cream, it just does the job without any fuss. My skin feels comfortable and moisturised with just one application and I feel safe knowing that my face is protected from the sun. I used to use SPF50 sunscreen every day on top of my moisturiser. I’ve developed so much trust in this brand that these days unless it’s a really sunny day out and I know I’m going to be spending time outside, I trust in my Protective Moisturiser to protect me, and go without additional sunscreen.
7. Daily Cleanser
First up, I need to confess that I don’t like foaming cleansers, and I haven’t used one in over ten years. I find that they dry my skin out, and despite lots of claims by cosmetic companies, I’ve never found one that didn’t strip my skin of its natural moisture.
So, when I discovered that this was a foaming cleanser, I wasn’t keen. In fact, I didn’t really want to test it. But I’d agreed with Gill that I was going to test the full range, so I did. I ended up using this every morning, and as a second cleanse after my regular balm cleanser in the evening. (I always cleanse my skin twice – the first removes surface make-up and dirt, and the second cleans my pores out so I don’t get spots). Well, I’m happy to say that it didn’t dry my skin out. Not at all. And in fact, it works better with my Clarisonic for my second cleanse that my balm cleanser did.
So that’s my review of Innovative Skincare. VH and Innovative have found in me a customer for life. I will re-purchase every single product and use them for many years to come, or at least until Innovative Skincare launch a new range!
These products have done more for my skin than the countless other expensive skincare I’ve tried. If I stopped to add up the amount of money I’ve spent on skincare that didn’t work, I’d cry. Sure, Innovative Skincare is expensive, but it delivers. As I’ve said before, if it wasn’t actually happening to me, I wouldn’t believe the results I’m seeing.